press release first draft:
(view images at the Gallery)
(association and motivation: spirituality>art<science)
78 Images derived from an ongoing process of work up to date. The ideas and concepts present in the making of these works relate to earlier series where the relations of language, signs and meaning to space, are on the foreground of the presentation.
Each image of the Kbbalife cards depicts an interpretation of a “chunk of consciousness” or a record of a living thought at a given moment. The integration of visual elements such as the ‘tree of life ‘spheres’, the tarot imagery and the rhythm of language constructions in space, are most eminent in the making of the Kabbalife.
References and associations:
- The visual tradition of the Kabbalah based on meditations visualizations and the use of language, foremost Hebrew and Aramaic, characterize a cultural sense and appearance of a most sophisticated system that analyze the build up of a person in reference to all that exist.
- The tarot/tarok cards an old card game system that in a most compact manner seems to carry in its use a potential of telling all possible narratives of all human stories (by the way the cards are dealt and laid down).
- These systems as universal as they are, have a lot in common and reach out to unknown metaphysical realities, yet based on their different origins they manifest themselves in different cultural appearances.
- Speaking of the Kabbalah, and abstract layers of light and old Hebrew texts come to mind, where is in tarot an imagery appears of knights kings queens and medieval alchemists wandering the streets of old European cities.
- Inspired by these complex systems, where one relates language and will/”kavana” to space, and the other arranges randomly, archetype imagery in space.
Both represent the ongoing quest for finding and creating meaning.
In the project Kabbalife I relate to both systems in the manner of presentation, positioning part or all 78 paintings, as laying cards on a table. The works in playing cards proportions (53.5cm. x 35cm.), derives from studies of language space relations and juxtaposing imagery to language and space where different cultural appearances interact and create new and exiting possibilities, new and exiting meanings.
First stage – the images are to be shared by a gradually growing circle of participants, either on exhibition site with corresponding maps to write in, or by mail correspondence. Each individual will react on the images through inspiration, meditation etc. The reaction by text that can fit the back of a playing card (max.50 words) will be collected and shared in an ongoing process of giving the images a meaning.
- Kabbalife exhibitions – Finalizing all 78 works (or more) and finding locations to host all or part of the images for a longer period of time (a month to a year).
- Kabalife as a product consisting of one parcel with two decks of cards. One Kabalife deck of cards has the printed images on one side and a favorite text of choice that was inspired by the image, on the other side.
The second Kabalife deck of cards has the print of the images on one side while the other side remains blank, for the use of the owner, when and where inspiration strikes. New impressions could be mailed to a website where the reactions will be reviewed and shared.
-when and after the work receives its interpretation it can be sold in one object arrangement or more.